Sunday, October 29, 2006

PALM READER #1 (of 4) and VICTOR SEASON #1 (of 6)


PALM READER #1 (of 4) and VICTOR SEASON #1 (of 6) are by Angry Gnome Comics, Shawn Gabborin and Stephanie Adams. PALM READER #1 was my favorite of the two, the story had me drawn in and I was curious as to what was going to happen next. A good sign that the writing is well done. The art is all in pencil and reproduces well, but the artist Stephanie needs more practice and study with figures and perspective. This is a very promising start but she should get some books and really study more, all the straight ahead views are boring and she also needs work on page design. If she stays with it she will hopefully get a handle on all this. Her shading of everything is very nicely done but studying how light plays off of people and things will also help in the long run. The story is continued so I have to give this a **1/2 - 2.5 out of 5 stars on everything that I see here. If the art was better and helped the story along more I'd of rated the book higher. I would like to see the future issues of this title to see how this story progresses and to see if the art improves.

As for VICTOR SEASON #1 the story and the art left me cold. A lot of what I said for PALM READER applies here as to the art, but the story for VICTOR SEASON was not as good. The dialog was stiff and I didn't believe the characters. (If a curse was on the town and an evil being was killing 9 people every year in the same few months, would they stay there?) Shawn should read out loud the script and see if it sounds right. The 2 page backup story was drawn so badly that I was too distracted to figure out if I thought the story was good or not. If it was done darker with some closeups here and there, and more work on the figures who are out of proportion, there could of been something here. The cover to Palm Reader was dramatic and made you eager to check out the book where as the cover to VICTOR SEASON #1 was very busy, it had dramatic elements but all that copy from the newspapers should have been toned down as it is fighting for attention with the figure with the knife. (I have to give VICTOR SEASON #1 a ** 2 out of 5 stars. Both books show potential but they should have shown their work around at comic shows and gotten feedback before taking on the task of printing costs etc.... ) Keep working S and S and I'm sure you will get to the point you are striving for in comics. Both books have very little information on ordering, they do have a $3.00 price on the covers and this email address: angrygnomecomics@hotmail.com so send $6 and I'm guessing $2 for postage ? to: Angry Gnome Comics, 311 Linden Street, Vandergrift, PA 15690. Order their books and send them some constructive input, help them improve!

No comments: